Monday, March 24, 2014

Waste Side Story, Entering the Now, Inner Terrain and more..

NEWS

Waste Side Story
( work on display)
Akar Prakar Gallery,  Kolkata, presents a solo show recent works by eminent artist Debanjan Roy. The show titled, ‘Waste Side Story’ is curated by Paroma Maiti.
The artist has tried to depict the concepts of ‘waste’ in various influential elements, and depicted them through a range of mediums and artistic expressions. From mediums as varied as drawings, sculptures and quirky installations to literally portraying useless objects such as toilet-cleaning brushes, are however laced with subtle undertones of sexual allusions.  All of these could be the results of ‘a’ particular type of society – its political hue tinted with multiple identities of gender, class or religion. The fact that he keeps this zone a grey one makes the works even more alluring.

His sculptures in wood also depict the state of objects, effect of prolonged use, abuse, and subjugation to the relentless squeezing out of its last bit of functional capacity – has been shown without any sympathy, just as it is. The artist likes to look at things from both sides – so he makes a whole ensemble of chic clothes – made out of wasted packets and covers. Debanjan Roy’s solo show is not a mere drab docu-articulation of things turned into waste but more a peek inside the gruesomeness of the human mind and an exploration of the layers of ruthless violence suppressed in its subconscious.

The show is on view till 18th April 2014.

Beyond Horizons
(work on display)
Convention Foyer, Habitat World, New Delhi presents a solo show of oil paintings on canvas by artist Yograj Verma. Titled, “Beyond Horizons” an exhibition which is solidly distinctive from the present swing of the modern art. 

This is the seventh endeavour by Yograj Verma, an artist who develops the thoughts about Indian mythology and embeds those insights by making the canvas and the colors alive. He interpolates the Incredible Incarnations of almighty to uphold the concept of the divine and the myths in the present scenario.


The show is on view from 24th March to 27th March 2014.

Entering The Now
(work on display)
Kamalnayan Bajaj Art gallery, Mumbai presents an exhibition of works by the artist, Rachna Toshniwal, along with veteran artist, Surendra Rao, and visiting Belgian artist, Kris Vandenberghe. The artists will work together at the gallery making art, swapping techniques, and sharing the joy of the creative process. Anyone interested could join in this collaborative artistic space.

‘Entering the Now’ is Rachna Toshniwal's first solo show wherein she explores the intertwining emotional threads of merging, separating, and connecting with the self and other. Through her artwork, Rachna finds a new language – a new way of relating while taking a radical step towards change.


The show is on view from 24th March to 29th March 2014.

Inner Terrain
( work on display)
Icon Art Gallery, Hyderabad presents an exhibition of water colour paintings by artist Akshat Charate. The show is titled, ‘Inner Terrain’ and displays the exquisite and unique art works of the artist.

The works rendered in the humble water colour medium portray distinct narratives in their figurations. The vibrant colours and specific depictions make for an interesting view.


The show is on view till 3rd April 2014.

(News reports by Sushma Sabnis)


FEATURE

Inside the artist’s studio
Workplaces offer unique insights about a person, be it an artist, writer or accountant. Zeenab Aneez goes studio hopping to see what artists of the city have to say about their personal nooks
(Priyanka Aelay at her studio. Photo: Nagara Gopal)
A typical day at the shared studio of artists Parameshwar Raju and Koeli Mukherjee in Masab tank begins with a glass of chai. “While some of the work happens in the studios, the ideas come to us in the oddest of places,” says Raju, who carries his broad-nibbed pens and notebooks with him at all times, like a mobile studio of sorts. “Some of my works happen on flights from Hyderabad to Delhi,” says the artist. Apart from finished works and black canvases, the studio is littered with books on culture theory and mythology - research for Raju’s work, which is curated and documented by Koeli. While Raju’s style is defined by controlled strokes and in depth research, Koeli’s is free flowing, evolving with each stroke of the chiselled bamboo.
(Artist Fawad Tamkanat at his studio. Photo: Nagara Gopal)
Fawad Tamkanat’s space is tucked away in a cosy corner of Banjara Hills. The walls of the little space are lined with finished pieces, works in progress, posters from group and solo shows across the country and world and a few of his daughter’s drawings. Fawad is currently working on a series depicting scenes from the street. “I have a routine; every morning whether I get up late or early, I pack my food and water and come here. I work till about 11 p.m. almost every day. I have a studio in my home as well but I prefer to paint here because here I can entertain people who want to see my work or watch me paint. I have been here for the last 15 years and have grown quite attached to it; it’s a small space but there is enough natural light. My friends are free to walk in the evenings and chat while I work. I enjoy that so long as the conversation is not about films or cricket.”
(Artist, Deepa Nath at her studio. Photo: Nagara Gopal)
Priyanka Aeley’s studio is nestled in a nondescript apartment in Somajiguda. “I don’t want things to be too neat here with just the one canvas that I am working on. I like it that the other works, incomplete and complete ones are here, that there are rolled up canvases here; that gives me the motivation. I have a lot of books here – so whenever I want to relax or take a break from work I can sit back and flip through something. You keep changing the studio space as well; there is a lot of experimentation happening because you don’t have to worry about anything else as in a home. It feels like a studio to me only when I personalise. The moment I come back here, it’s completely about work. I leave everything else back home; no other ideas follow me here.”
(Artist Koeli Mukherjee at her studio. Photo: Nagara Gopal)
Artist Deepa Nath’s studio is a tidy little space that she calls her ‘hideout’.
(Calligraphy artist Parameshwar Raju at his studio. Photo: Nagara Gopal)
“This is basically my hideout where I want to be completely cut off from my family and friends; in fact none of my friends even know this place, I don’t entertain anybody here. That I live so far away helps. I just want to be with my work and my art books. I play music; sometimes classical, sometimes some old Hindi songs. It takes time to get into the flow of painting something and if I am interrupted, I have to start again.”

( Report by Zeenab Aneez for The Hindu)

1 comment:

  1. During her art exhibition 'Entering the Now', artist Rachna Toshniwal, along with veteran artist, Surendra Rao, and visiting Belgian artist, Kris Vandenberghe, worked together at the gallery making art, swapping techniques, and sharing the joy of the creative process. It was our pleasure to have anyone interested to join us in this collaborative artistic space! Read more about her exhibition on the Kamalanayan Bajaj Art Gallery website.

    ReplyDelete